June 9, 2017
  5 Replies
  4.9K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Hello everyone, five years ago I had weightloss surgery. I had the gastric sleeve surgery. I lose almost a hundred pounds but I quickly gained most of it back due to my poor eating habits and stress. I could eat a lot more now, but not as much as used to. I could eat a regular adult meal at a restaurant (without the drink), however I quickly get full off of high fiber foods such as beans,potatoes,yams, and vegetables. I'm worried since I can't eat a larger volume of food I'll become nutrient deficient. I also notice there isn't a lot of bariatric vegans. I guess most go paleo.

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Since plants are the highest source of micro-nutrients but have lower calorie density, your biggest concern being a bariatric vegan is more likely to be getting enough calories, not getting enough nutrients.  I'm not an expert, but what I would do if I were in your situation is that while I still had weight to lose, I would focus on eating mostly starch based whole plant foods.  When I am approaching my healthy weight, I would look to add more calorie dense foods such as nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. to help add more calories with less volume.

Votes
Undo

Good idea, I'm still getting over my fear of carbs. I'm afraid of gaining a lot of weight from them, since my doctors always told me they will make you fat. I've been eat mostly low carb low calorie vegetables, mostly raw salads and some cooked. But I always get too full too fast and I end up getting ravenously hungry. I read on some sites beans are a great choice because of their high protein content and they are filled with lots of fiber. I used to have a small salad before a meal, now I'm thinking about having half my plate with cooked veg, and the other half with starchy vegetables, and perhaps having  a big salad top with beans.

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Christina,

That sounds like a really good plan. Have you read this page on our site: 
https://www.drcarney.com/starch-smart-system/beans-greens-squash-and-yams

I think you will find that eating the beans and starches will help with satiety and prevent you from becoming hungry too soon. 

Sean

Votes
Undo

Thanks for the link Sean. It's was very helpful. I may add in some vegetables for snacks too. Today I had sweet potatos topped with a homade bean salsa today. It kept me fuller than the salad I would have each morning.

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Great news.  Thanks for sharing.  Generally salad is not filling enough. Vegetables are part of the Starch-Smart system for sure. Let us I know how you progress now.  

Sean

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display